Damiana (Turnera diffusa) is a small tropical shrub indigenous to South and Central America. Its leaves are used for medicinal purposes, such as an aphrodisiac, antidepressant, nerve tonic, diuretic, cough-suppressant, kidney and menstrual disorder remedy, mild laxative, and anti-inflammatory.
Constituents of Damiana include flavonoids, cyanoglycoside, volatile oils, phytosterol, beta carotene, hydrocarbons, phenolic glycoside, and tannins. Research suggests that Damiana relieves anxiety, depression, headaches, hot flashes, and ulceration of the gastric and duodenal mucosa, and can help with urinary infections.
Its active ingredients, pinocembrin and acacetin, are potent inhibitors of the aromatase enzyme.
- Treats depression and anxiety: Damiana has been used since ancient times to treat depression and anxiety. Studies have also shown that it may help reduce the symptoms of stress and improve mood.
- Improves libido: Damiana is known to increase sexual desire, arousal and sensitivity. It can also be helpful in treating erectile dysfunction and sexual dysfunction.
- Boosts energy: Damiana has been used traditionally to improve energy levels. It can help reduce fatigue and improve physical performance.
- Improves digestion: Damiana has been used to relieve indigestion, constipation, and other digestive issues.
- Boosts immune system: Damiana can help boost the immune system and increase resistance to infection.
- Antioxidant activity: Damiana has antioxidant activity which can help protect against cellular damage and oxidative stress.
- Treats urinary tract infections: Damiana has been used to treat urinary tract infections due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Recommended dosage: 1-5ml taken 1-2x daily in a small glass of water or juice on an empty stomach for better absorption. When used as such, it has a relaxing effect similar to low doses of cannabis.
As a natural sexual stimulant, 5 ml of the herbal tincture 30 - 45 minutes before sex. It can be used by both men and women.
As a nerve tonic; 4ml - 2x daily in a small glass of water or juice on an empty stomach for better absorption.